Welcome to Western Mass's newest Trail & Ultra Race!
Distance: Either 22k or 50k options for this year. Both are one loop around/over the mountain.
This race is a fundraiser for Girls on the Run of Western Massachusetts, which inspires girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Isn't that AWESOME?
This being a first year race, we're keeping it intentionally low-key. It's about enjoying an early season run on some challenging trails and kicking the season off with some fun!
Date: April 6th, 2019
Time: 7:00am start for both distances (7 hour time limit).
Check in: 6:00 - 6:50am
Distance: 50k or 22k options.
Location: Sunderland Town Park, Park Road, Sunderland MA
Cost: $75 (for 50k), $40 (for 22k)
Sound like fun? Sign up here.
There will be day-of registration available, however prices will jump to $85 for 50k and $50 for 22k.
A bit of the details on this race are below:
1) Elevation Gain/Loss: The course is hilly - it's at Mt. Toby after all! Folks in the 22k race will get to the peak once, the 50k folks will summit three times. Will have better elevation data after this year's race (but plan on plenty of climbing!).
2) The Course: The course is on rugged double track trails and some single track trails. You'll have to scramble through a short cave along the course (we'll provide the headlamps, further info on the cave below), and 50k runners will run (well, more likely hike) next to a beautiful waterfall.
3) Aid Stations: There will be plenty of aid along the way, see the aid station chart (including opening/closing times, and mileages) here.
4) Crew Access: Your crew can cheer you on (and support you) at the following locations:
1) The start/finish line at the Sunderland Town Park (Park Road, Sunderland MA)
2) Cranberry Pond (Reservation Road near Rt. 63, Sunderland MA)
3) Bull Hill (Bull Hill Road, Sunderland MA)
These three locations are approximately 15 minutes drive away from each other.
5) Start Location: The race will start/finish at the Sunderland Town Park, located on Park Road in Sunderland. From the center of Sunderland, there are small green signs that direct you there.
6) The Price: We are trying to keep the price as reasonable as possible, however with a relatively new race we need to budget for a few unexpected things. As mentioned before, all proceeds go towards the Girls on the Run of Western Mass, so any excess funds will help promote young girls in the area gaining confidence through running opportunities.
7) Weather warning: This race is held during the early spring, and this is New England. Further, Mt. Toby has an amazing ability to shed water in excess of what falls from the sky. It can be muddy, it can be icy, or it could be hot and humid. Prepare for anything!!!
8) Nourishment: We'll have all the basics needed for a race! For hydration, we will have water, energy drink, and soda. If colder temps are predicted, there may be hot soup. For food, there will be the standard cookies, candy, chips, pretzels, fruit, etc.
9) Medical: There will be amazing Sunderland Fire Department crews along the way, so see them (or aid station volunteers) if needed.
10) Guidelines: If you are stopping, you must let a race official know. Per USATF regulations, we discourage the use of headphones. Otherwise, have some fun out there!
11) AWDs: We think that Athletes with Disabilities are awesome and welcome them to participate at this event! To learn how it all works, we will follow the general rules as set forth here.
12) Volunteers: We of course can't do this without the support of volunteers to help out runners along the way. If you are interested in volunteering, reach out! Thank you!!!
Contact Info: Let us know if you have further questions that aren't answered here. You can contact the race director at racedirector_at_7sisterstrailrace_dot_com.